In 1958, a group of people representing St. Mary's and St. Joseph's parishes in Adrian approached the late Cardinal Edward Mooney of the Archdiocese of Detroit to explain the need for a counseling agency to serve families in Lenawee County. The Rev. Wilbur Suedkamp, secretary of Catholic Charities for the Archdiocese, appointed the Rev. Robert V. Monticello, assistant secretary for charities, to lead a steering committee of local citizens. Meetings for the steering committee were held bi-monthly, and Father Monticello became the director of the new agency, which was formally opened on Nov. 17, 1958.
Operating funds for the agency were provided by the Archdiocesan Development Fund of the Archdiocese of Detroit, and office furnishings were obtained with the assistance of Ford Motor Company and several Adrian businesses. In 1960, the agency became a member of the Lenawee County United Way.
Diocesan boundaries were changed in 1971, and Catholic Social Services became a part of the Diocese of Lansing. In 2003, the agency's name was changed to reflect our connection to a much larger network of Catholic Charities in the diocese, the state, and the country. Catholic Charities of Lenawee continues to provide counseling services, which are the basis of our beginning, with the addition of programs that serve youth, individuals, and families in need. With the support of our contributors, we are able to improve the quality of life for our neighbors in the community, fulfilling our mission of charity.
On July 1, 2010, Catholic Charities of Lenawee merged with Catholic Charities of Jackson County to become Catholic Charities of Jackson, Lenawee, and Hillsdale Counties.